Does your scalp itch? 7 natural remedies to calm it down
Sometimes the itching of the scalp can be due to excessive dryness that we can alleviate quickly and easily with a natural moisturizing treatment.
People who suffer from itchiness in any part of the body know how distressing it can be. Scalp itching is very common , and many don’t know how to deal with it safely. It is for this reason that today we compile the best home remedies for itchy scalp.
As it could not be otherwise, the therapies that we analyze are effective only when you apply some changes in your lifestyle. If doing these changes together doesn’t bring you the relief you want, then consider seeking professional help . Before presenting the remedies, we investigate the possible causes of itchy scalp.
Does your scalp itch? Attention
All of our scalps can itch at some point. However, when this discomfort becomes continuous and we even cause irritation, it is time to analyze what is happening in this part of the body . Let’s look at some of the reasons according to the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) :
- In many cases, the cause is excessive dryness . This is confirmed when, when we scratch, we can see small white dots on our clothes. We should not confuse them with dandruff, which has a more oily and yellowish texture. In this case, we have a flaking scalp, which invites us to review the type of shampoo we use and provide more hydration through masks.
- In other cases we may have some type of eczema. We will confirm this if there is any type of relief or different color on the scalp . The usual thing is that the area is inflamed and a little red. There may also be small wounds.
- Likewise, hives or psoriasis (two skin problems) can appear on the scalp.
- Nor should we rule out that our hair is reacting to some type of hair product. Most shampoos and other hair products contain alcohol, silicones, sulfates, parabens, etc. These dry out and damage our hair progressively.
- Finally, it is possible that the itching is due to a lice infestation . In this case it is necessary to have someone check your hair and take the appropriate measures. Other diseases that can affect are scabies or ringworm.
Given the prolongation in time of any of these cases, it is advisable to go to a dermatologist . In the short term you can implement some home remedies for itchy scalp.
7 remedies to soothe itchy scalp
In today’s market it is possible to purchase dozens of products that treat this uncomfortable symptom. They are effective, safe and in general do not usually generate secondary reactions . If you want to appeal to a more natural alternative, and save money in the process, consider some of the following therapies.
1. Egg yolk
If we are clear that the cause of our itching is dry scalp, we can try a simple home remedy. It is only necessary to wash the hair with egg yolk. This food is very nutritious, rich in fatty acids, vitamins and minerals . Depending on the amount of hair, we may have to use up to 2 or 3 buds.
In the same way, this study carried out by the West Pomeranian University of Technology in Szczecin (Poland), ensures that consuming an average of two or three eggs a week would improve the strength of the hair, preventing its loss.
Although it surprises us, the egg yolk can work as a shampoo . However, many people feel that they need a cleaner product. In this case, we can mix the egg yolk with our shampoo or apply it as a pre-wash mask.
2. Shampoo with mint oil
If we want a quick solution that gives us relief without stopping using our shampoo, we can resort to mint essential oil. This essence, which we should use in small quantities to avoid irritation, makes us feel very fresh as well as having anti-inflammatory effects . This is confirmed by this study carried out by the Islamic Azad University (Iran).
- We can add 5 drops of this oil to our shampoo for every 100 milliliters of product.
- In addition, at the same time that we soothe itching, this oil activates circulation, regulates excess sebum, fights infections and prevents hair loss .
3. Calendula infusion
Calendula is one of the most popular medicinal plants to soothe different types of skin irritations and inflammations , as confirmed by this research carried out by the Cuban Drug Research and Development Center. We can buy it in extract, tincture, cream, etc. Today you can also find mild shampoos based on this flower.
In this case, to relieve the itching on the scalp we can prepare an infusion of calendula. To notice its benefits, we have to use it as a conditioner. That is, after shampooing and without rinsing the hair afterwards.
4. Aloe and chamomile mask
One option to immediately soothe the scalp is to prepare a mask based on soothing and anti-inflammatory ingredients. In this case, we opted for aloe vera gel and chamomile.
The first has moisturizing and healing properties , according to this study carried out by the “Amalia Simoni Argilagos” Provincial Teaching Surgical Clinical Hospital in Camagüey, Cuba. Chamomile, for its part, is a powerful anti-inflammatory, according to this research carried out by Case Western Reserve University in Ohio, United States.
- 3 tablespoons of aloe vera gel (45 milliliters).
- 7 drops of chamomile essential oil or 1 tablespoon of chamomile extract (15 milliliters).
Preparation and application
- Mix both ingredients well.
- Apply to dry scalp.
- Leave to act for 20 minutes and wash.
5. Coconut and tea tree oil
It is possible that the origin of our itching is eczema or any infectious skin problem. In this case, we can resort to two ingredients to combat all kinds of fungi and bacteria : coconut oil and tea tree oil.
A study conducted by the Kannur Dental College in India has attributed antibacterial properties to the former. For its part, and according to this research from the University of Western Australia, tea tree oil brings together interesting antimicrobial compounds .
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin coconut oil (45 milliliters).
- 7 drops of tea tree essential oil.
Preparation and application:
- Mix both ingredients. Keep in mind that tea tree essential oil can be irritating to sensitive areas .
- Apply all over the scalp before going to bed and leave it on all night.
- In the morning, wash your hair as usual.
6. Citronella oil
A paper published in Complementary Medicine Research found that a hair tonic with 10% citronella oil is effective in treating dandruff and controlling its associated symptoms (such as itchy scalp). If you apply it directly it can worsen the itching, so you should dilute it with your shampoo.
You must then make a tonic with your shampoo and citronella oil with a ratio of 10 to 1, respectively. For example, for every 100 milliliters of shampoo you should add 10 milliliters of this essential oil . Shake it well so that both ingredients are homogenized, and when you do, use it just as you do with your regular shampoo.
7. Zinc pyrithione
As experts point out , zinc pyrithione is one of the most used ingredients in shampoos and other products indicated to control dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis. Its spectrum of action is known to be very broad, since it includes fungi, gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria . When you buy a product for your hair, make sure that it is included in its active ingredients.
Other tips to avoid itchy scalp
The remedies for itchy scalp are palliative in nature. If you suffer from this problem on a recurring basis, it bothers you or causes you injuries, it is preferable to go to a specialist to try to find the cause and treat it .
Although these are very varied and may not be determined, it is important to try to find a way to mitigate itching . Otherwise, your quality of life may be affected in the long run or it may lead to a feeling of nerves and stress. We leave you with some recommendations from the experts :
- For regular hygiene, it is best to use shampoos and other products that are respectful of the scalp (opt for those with ketoconazole, selenium sulfide or coal tar).
- Avoid using the dryer at its hottest temperature (also the use of the hair iron).
- Do not use hair dyes until you completely overcome this symptom.
- Avoid episodes of chronic stress (they can aggravate underlying conditions that cause you to itch).
- Do not use fragrances directly on the scalp.
- When you towel dry your hair after washing it, do it gently .
- Protect this part of the body from solar radiation. It is recommended that you wear caps or hats if you are going to be in the sun for a long time.
On the other hand, and as the researchers point out , scratching the scalp can make itch symptoms worse . Therefore, and in conjunction with these tips and the remedies for itchy scalp, avoid doing it when the symptom appears.
If you have itchy scalp, try to mitigate it with these home remedies
These masks and lotions can be useful and, in general, their ingredients are not aggressive. However, keep in mind that essential oils and very strong infusions could be irritating. So be careful when applying them and follow the instructions .
Also remember that before using any remedy or over-the-counter product it is better to consult a specialist to find out the reason for the itching. In this way you will avoid making the situation worse and find the most appropriate solution.
You can Read more How to remove dark circles under the eyes with home remedies